Re: Surge Protection?

  Idea that power turns on like water flowing down a channel
is nothing more than speculation.  When power comes on, with
so many appliances and light bulbs to start, then power comes
back very slowly.  When does power get restored fastest (and
therefore might deliver too much power)?  When that one
appliance is the only one turned on.   Just one example of why
power up is not destructive.

  Meanwhile, appliance that lasts longer when power is applied
slower also contain a device that was even found in 1950s
televisions.  The technology is that old and that standard.
It is called an inrush current limiter.  Just a second reason
why no destructive inrush of power exists when power is
restored.

  An appliance that fails after a blackout was more likely
damaged by the same transient that caused the blackout.  The
appliance was damaged when power was lost; not when power was
restored.  Power restoration is cited as a reason for damage
when speculation replaces scientific reasoning.

  Meanwhile, this well proven fact was demonstrated in 1930s
GE and Westinghouse science papers.  Earth ground is necessary
for the AVR to provide effective lightning protection.
However I too can put a knot in a wire and accurately claim
that is lightning protection.  A wire knot is more than zero
protection.  Therefore it is protection.  But the knot is so
close to zero protection as to be all but nonexistent
protection.

  You want more than near zero lightning protection.  You want
effective protection.  No earth ground means no effective
protection from lightning.  An AVR without a dedicated and
short connection to the building's earth ground cannot provide
effective protection.  At best, it would only provide
lightning protection that already exists inside electronic
appliances.

  If the manufacturer claims protection, then he has provided
numbers for that protection.  What are those numbers?  No
numbers would suggest that protection is equivalent to a wire
knot?