Re: Down Payments?

"J. Sloud" <jsloud@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:qm2qg19ppckei9pd125p8l0c5ov2meqmkn@xxxxxxxxxx
> On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 22:31:48 -0500, "JW" <golf4nospam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
>>Hi All,
>>Our contracts state that we will receive a 50% down payment upon signing
>>with the balance billed after completion. Today, a new customer (who
>>already
>>signed the contract and sent a large downpayment since it's a big job)
>>called very upset about the practice. He said no other vendors require it
>>and that it smacks of being a fly-by-nighter. I think it smacks of sound
>>money-management... but of course it made me wonder what the norm is in
>>the
>>industry so thought I'd ask for some feedback.
>>
>>Thanks for sharing!
>>

> It's generally accepted that the customer who pays something up front
> will be more likely to pay in the future.  If they object to paying a
> deposit, I'd wonder what their intentions will be down the road.

There you go.  From the little guys to the big guys we all pretty much agree
that if they balk at a deposit there is a much larger chance of a problem
down the road.

--
Bob La Londe

Win a Tackle Pack
Jig Fishing - Tips and Techniques Contest
Courtesy of Siebler Custom Baits
http://www.YumaBassMan.com