Re: Napco Wireless???

> Napco wireless is about all I use these days.  I have
> had very few problems.  Not like the old Linear 21st
> Century garbage...

While I was still installing the little amount of wireless I used
was mostly Napco.  Their stuff works forever.  I tried Linear in
the early years and it was awful.  They now make long range
wireless which I've used with some success.

A marina in a small town on Lake Michigan was having problems
with people stealing marine navigation equipment from boats at
the dock as well as a few that were moored ~200 yards from shore.
The police department is about a mile from the marina.  My client
bought a receiver and several transmitters.  The PD installed the
receiver in their radio room with a long-range antenna outside.
The client installed transmitters on several boats.  Fortunately,
the next break-in was on one of the protected boats.  They were
able to make an arrest.  This happened within a few days of the
installation.  Needless to say, that was one very satisfied
DIYer.  :^)

> Seriously, I do like the Napco wireless for most general wireless
> applications.  Even nicer if you use a laptop for programming.

That's true.  However, Napco doesn't seem to like USB-serial
ports.  Several clients have had problems getting the software to
work with their laptops.  I can perform a remote download for
them but that's not the ideal solution.  Hopefully, Napco will
eventually make the configuration more flexible.

> The bigger panels support multiple recievers for increased
> coverage also, but I haven't needed a second receiver in
> a house yet if I could centrally locate the receiver...

Unless the home is exceptionally large, I usually suggest
mounting the receiver inside a front hall closet above the door.
One way to test various locations before running cable is to pay
out 100' of 22/4 and connect it to the receiver and panel.  Check
various places around the house to see where reception is best.

> They now also have an RF keypad, but I haven't tried
> one yet.

I'm leery of those because you have little leeway in placement.
If the chosen location isn't effective and there's only one
keypad in the job you're up the creek.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass