Re: CCTV Cameras

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 10:51:49 -0400, "Jackcsg" <nospam@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>Easy John. Don't beat up on old Rory.
>You'd have to narrow it down to 98% of the industry, including ADT
>(non-Government sectors), and every National.
>It's an industry wide dilemma. Few can see the potential, even fewer can
>comprehend the potential. This industry has the ability to make everything
>easier, faster, more reliable, false alarm free, and cheaper (cost
>effective). Unfortunately, it's going to take another decade of 80's
>technology to realize it, as the technology passes most bye. Most of the
>"Old Dawgs" with their "it isn't broke, don't fix it" mentality just aren't
>paying attention. The fact of the matter is, this 80's mentality has been
>broke for over thirty years, and damn near since the inception of the
>Digital Dialer. Most just seem to focus on the sales numbers, not the
>impact. I ask dealers/competitors/customers this question all the time...
>
>"What's your perception on the impact the security industry has provided
>over the last 30 years"
>
>It's a question for all to answer, and highly educational.
>
>Jack

Jack,

It's an interesting question.  Thirty years ago, the electronic
security industry was fire and burglar alarms.  There was no real
CCTV, access control, inventory control, etc.  The industry is so
diverse now that it's almost impossible for a company, let alone a
single person, to be an expert on every faction.  I've chosen to
concentrate on that part of the business that I enjoy and that I feel
affects the most people in a positive way.  We're involved in cutting
edge technology and the real world application of such.  Most of my
direct customer contacts are with government agencies and large
private comapnies with deep pockets and a need for real security.

The "mainstream" part of this industry will benefit from cutting edge
technology being deployed in DHS/ DoD applications in the same way
that passenger cars benefit from auto racing.  Intelligent video
analytics will soon be integrated into common DVR's.  Virtual
tripwires may replace PE beams and other BA devices, and central
station video alarm verification will become much more common.  IP
video will also make an impact.  All the major manufacturers are
betting on it from AD to Bosch to Pelco.  I'm not sure how it will
play out considering the limitations of traditional 10/100 Ethernet.
The flexibility of hanging viewing, recording, processing, and archive
storage anywhere on the network makes the architecture of these
systems revoluntionary in large scale applications.

When people who aren't involved in the leading edge, they get left
behind when things change.  IP and wireless video are legitmate
technologies now for many medium to large commercial clients.  Those
of us who are comfortable with these technologies will take jobs away
from the companies who aren't.