IP telephones,alarms,broadband

Am in New Zealand and contemplating IP security camera system with the
provision of an IP telephone to make a new Broadband connection fully
utilised. Are there any inherrent things to watch?

Telecom in New Zealand has a veritable monopoly still and has
systematically frustrated other providers access to its copper network,
I am concerned the real advantage of what I propose will also be
frustrated by lack of competitors here and trying to hook in to an
operational system along the way I propose.

My desire is to remotely monitor my home through, preferably, some sort
of hand-held or, to a lesser extent, a remote computer.

Anyone have any ideas on a good source of supply to Australia or New
Zealand?