Re: can garage door safety beam signal an alarm system (napco 9600) the beam was tripped?

On 10 Aug 2005 19:00:32 -0700, "cmjindy" <cmjindy@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> I have a Stanley garage door opener with a safety beam.  I know it
> prevents the door from closing if the beam it tripped.  Can you also
> setup a security zone to monitor its state?  Not really needed from a
> security perspective but would like to know via my home automation
> system if it's tripped or the sensor was knocked out of place.

I'm not familiar with the Stanley system but my door opener has a
similar type safety beam.  The beam has a closed circuit output
(opens on interruption of the beam).  If yours is like mine it
would be trivial to connect it to a home automation system such
as the ELK M1 Gold.  Connect the output of the beam to a spare
zone on the HA system.  Program a relay to follow the status of
the beam (that is, transfer the relay whenever the beam is
broken).  Also program the system to give whatever kind of alert
suits your need if the beam trips.  You might also want to bug
the overhead door itself.

Regards,
Robert L Bass
http://www.bassburglaralarms.com/subcategory_335.htm