Re: seeking Xanboo software, model xbx105

JOhn wrote:
> Apparently, its true, "You get what you pay for."
>
> I had a cold call regarding  twelve Xanboo camera/security systems that
> have been  installed at a seniors condo project.   The original contractor
> has disappeared, and the clients have been left without software or support.
> Apparently Xanboo has been sold to Motorolla, and no longer supports the
> product.

<SNIP>

John, if the product is no longer supported, no dealer is going to be
able to help them at low cost, unless they've figured out a way to pay
their bills with magnanimity.

Break the bad news to them and then offer them the best solution you
can at a reasonable cost. If they need the system, and you tell them
you can't help them, and walk away, someone else will eventually come
in and sell them what they need and they'll pay the price if they
really need the system. If you put effort into trying to beat a dead
horse, and don't get compensated for it, that's not good business
...... and they *still* wont have a viable system.

It's not a good situation for them, but you didn't sell them the
original system. It's not your fault they're in a bad spot,and you
shouldn't take responsibility for it nor bear any uncompensated cost to
make it right. You're spending time right now that won't be paid for.
Show them the replies you received and at the same time present them
with your alternative. Just tell them what it is now and how you can
make it good. If someone else comes in after you and puts in a lot of
time and effort with no compensation, that's their problem. And that's
exactly the kinds of jobs you want your competition to have.

One of my mottos: It's better to have no customer at all then to have
one that you're losing money on. Your time can be more profitably spent
working on profitable jobs or soliciting those jobs. It obviously
sounds ruthless, but, if you make a practice of getting involved with
difficult problems with people who can't compensate you for your time,
...... too often ....... well .... not good for longevity of your
business.

Hmmmm, could be I've presumed too much about your situation ....... but
I'll let it stand, ..... just in case.