Re: Another one for the books

It's a dry system. We have them everywhere up here in the Northeast US,
because the pipes typically are installed throughout the attic's of some
older buildings. The pipes are pressurized with air...pressure drops, and a
pressure valve (switch) releases the water. But like most wet systems, only
the head which was activated flows water.
I had a customer here in Maryland who had this same system in an Atrium,
which they later closed off and turned into a dry system do to the
temperatures. I kept getting false alarms on the pressure switch, and a
sprinkler tech came out and replaced it, tested the system, and forgot to
drain the water out of the system after he tested it. It was nasty when it
broke. It went right down the elevator shaft, ruined the elevator car and
machinery, and put about 3 feet of water in the basement. I think it was
well over a million dollars in damage.