Re: Far Side Chat -- Fire Alarm Code Issue

Frank, you and I know that in retrofit situations, the AHJ hardly ever
gets a phone call. So, you will always find tradesmen who will install
stuff to suit themselves all the while ignoring code.  What I published
is not new and the issue of dealing in two venues, one code compliant
and the other not, is not new as well.

When the AHJ sees nothing wrong with it, it's a go. When the AHJ says
no, it's no.  The world of code has two distinctly different venues as
well.  One is what's in the book and the other one is what's in the
field.  Some of us go entirely by the book for everything we do, some
of us don't even own a code book and know nothing about what's in one,
and the other of us try to go by the book when it's practical while
doing what seems right for the client. I see no absolute black and
white associated with this issue.

I respect your position, for where you now stand I stood at one time.
Believe me, I'm a dealer through and through, and what I write should
show that.  I guess I can't please everyone, although I sure try to.
It's a difficult business I am in, but someone has to do it. :-)

Wait until you read my June story before you pass final judgement on
where I stand.  Frankly (no pun intended), if you want to know my
personal opinion on this issue, if I were in business again, I would
not use this method of connection.  NOT because of code, but because of
the possible legal issues.  My story goes into this area as well to a
small degree.  Believe me, I present both sides of the arguement and I
believe I presented them fairly.

Unfortunately, I wrote it before Robert Bass ever raised the question,
so I did not quote anyone who has discussed this issue in the news
group.  Perhaps we can all work together on a story of some kind in the
future though.  Would you and others who frequent this news group be
willing to do that?

Thanks for being concerned about this industry enough to voice your
opposition to what I wrote.  I thank Robert Bass as well.  It's always
good to have the other take on things.  Believe me, I don't take any of
this personal, or I certainly try not to.

Al