Re: Phoenix metro area design/installation recommendation

> The police pulled my friend over and said,
> "You were speeding, give me $25". My
> friend said he had only $20. The police
> took it....

Mexico City, about 20 years ago:  We were riding in a taxi (seven of us plus
the driver).  Traffic was the usual bumper-to-bumper, 50 mph.  We stopped
for a light and when it changed the driver started forward, apparently just
a second too soon.  A police car signaled the taxi to pull over.  The cabby
got out and walked back toward the police car, counting money in broad
daylight as he went.  He handed a few bills to the cop, turned and walked
back to the cab.  Then he proceeded as though nothing unusual had happened.

> Mexico is still a third world country
> and probably always will be.

Fast forward to Brazil in 2001.  I was driving just under the speed limit
from Rio de Janeiro to Cabo Frio with my namorada when a pair of Policia
Militares pulled me over.  Asked in my broken Portuguese why they pulled me
over they said they needed to search my vehicle.  No problem, I don't carry
anything illegal so I figured this would only take a minute.  Wrong!

Inside the trunk was my small backpack carrying several changes of clothes
and bathroom kit.  The cop ordered me into the little building next to the
highway which they used as an office and searched the pack.  Finding nothing
illegal, he ordered me to open my hygiene bag.  Inside were toothbrush and
paste, floss, soap and shaving gear, etc., plus a month's supply of er...
protection.  :^)

Spotting the rubbers, the cop shouted, Ooooh, camasinha Americana --
TROJAN -- muito bom!!!  (Oh, American rubbers -- TROJAN -- very good).  I
said, "Gosta?" (Do you like)?  He said "Sim!" (Yes).  I tore off six,
pressed them into his hand and said "Feliz Natal" (Merry Christmas) with a
big grin.  It was November but he got the idea.  He smiled and said,
"Obrigado.  Bom voyagem" (Thanks. Have a good trip) and we were on our way.

Told of these events my Brazilian friends said this was all too typical.
The police in Brazil, like those in Mexico are grossly underpaid.  Some
choose to supplement their income with theft, bribes, graft.  Others are
just honest cops trying to get by on their meager wages.  Because all it
cost me was some lost time and a couple of dollars I didn't mind very much.
It would have been a lot less amusing if they had found my money belt and
unburdened me of a few thousand dollars.