Re: Fire Side Chat -- Fire Alarm Code Issue

>> Any add-on relays to interconnect the smoke
>> alarms to the security system must be compatible
>> with the smoke alarms, yes.
>
> They must also be listed for the purpose.

<sigh>  Nope.  There is no requirement for the interconnect relay or the
built-in one on some smoke alarms to be specifically listed for connection
to a home's security panel or auto dialler.  If you were connecting it to a
listed *and certified* UL residential security control, then that would be a
"horse of a different colour".  The control may be UL Listed as a
residential fire/burg panel, but the listing only becomes important when the
entire system/installation has to be *certified*.  I can use a panel from
any manufacturer and install it in my home without having to worry about
every device that's connected to it having to be "listed for use" with it
(of course you should follow the manufacturer's instructions when installing
it and this means the two wire smokes should at least be compatible).  The
fact that it's UL Listed (or ULC) means nothing until the extra step of
system certification is taken (and there are very few alarm companies that
are certified to do a UL or ULC listed installation).  The Firex 499 relay
isn't *recommended* by the manufacturer for the purpose (for reasons I've
already outlined - ie. it cycles during a power failure which could result
in a false alarm, there's no backup in the event of a power failure, it's
not supervised, etc.) but it doesn't specifically prohibit you from using it
to hook up to your non-certified home alarm installation.