Re: galvanic reaction

yes, ive seen that on window contact connections when the connection has =
been wet for a while..drywall wet connection wet...grows the copper =
crystals which end up just conductive enough to create a swinger - =
probably is a electrolytic reaction between the copper wire and =
something in the drywall compound.

never have seen it on resistors though.

"mikey" <someone@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message =
> Greenish hue, sometimes rust like color, whitish on boards. I've seen =
it,
> especially on stuff what got wet. Where's Jim? He works on boats,
> fascinating what he goes through to protect shit.
>=20
> "Crash Gordon=AE" <NONE@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> I've been mucking about with building electronic stuff since I was old
> enough to hold a soldering iron..probably 40+ years and I've never =
seen a
> resistor corrode. However, we may have to consult with our resident =
guru,
> Paulie, maybe he has discovered GCR too.
>=20
>=20
> "Robert L. Bass" <robertlbass@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> > > Why do manufacturers give us resistors
> > > that are made of a different metal than
> > > the copper wire we are using?
> >
> > It's not a problem.  If you properly solder copper wire to standard =
EOL
> > resistors there will be no degradation at all.
> >
> > > High voltage electricians know that you
> > > can't connect an aluminum and copper...
> >
> > They're not made of aluminum.
> >
> > > ...Yes Robert it does happen, even if you
> > > haven't noticed it in your 40 years in the trade.;)
> >
> > No, Phil, it does NOT happen if you properly connect them, even in =
if you
> > think it will in your 40 weeks in the trade.  :^)
> >
> > > Any resistor experts out there?  Why are
> > > most resistors I have seen not made out
> > > of copper?  Must be some reason.
> >
> > Commonly used EOL resistors do not cause problems when placed in =
contact
> > with copper.  BTW, I don't claim 40 years in the trade -- only 28.
> >
> > --=20
> >
> > Regards,
> > Robert L Bass
> >
> > =