Re: A scope for installing PIR?

> I need some help from you pros. I'm staring at
> an assessment question that says something
> like this: "when installing a motion sensor in
> an odd-shaped room, scope the perimeter and
> eliminate obstructions."
>
> I'm assuming there is a device that I would look
> through that gives me some idea of what the
> PIR would see...

Not really.  Just use your eye.  Stand where the PIR will be mounted and
look for obstructions.  Each PIR model has its own unique pattern of "fields
of view" (FOV's).  After using a few you will become accustomed to their
characteristics.  For now, check the coverage pattern in the installation
instructions as a guide.

Remember to verify that the detector is installed at the correct height as
specified in the manual.  If it's too high you may miss nearby areas.  If
it's too low the area of coverage will be reduced.  Also, if you are using
"pet resistant" detectors, note that most of these require very careful
placement to avoid false alarms.

When designing a system note that it's usually unnecessary to cover every
square foot of the protected premises.  Protect the places where a thief is
likely to move about, especially corridors, access to stairs (not usually
the stairs themselves though) and important target locations like the master
bedroom and family room if it's a residence.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics