More Experiments With My Old Rittenhouse Smokes, & Interconnecting New Ones

Hi,

Thought I'd take a second and tell everyone my latest experiment with the
old Rittenhouse wired-in smoke detectors that I removed, and replaced with
the new Kidde PI 2000 ones, and my difficulties in interconnecting them.
See my previous posts on this.

As  mentioned, the interconnect line, with No detectors on it, shows 2 V AC.

So, I thought that I might learn something about how they might have been
hooked up with
the Rittenhouser's by doing a little experiment.

Took an old Rittenhouse and hooked it up on the bench by itself with 110 V
AC.
Measured between the white neutral and its interconnect wire.

Guess what:  110 V AC on it !

So, for you experts, how might they have been hooked up to the existing
interconnect
wire originally ?  Does this say that there must be a relay somewhere ?

Can't imagine how it could have worked with 110 V on the interconnect lead
in the normal,
non-tripped state ?

Any thoughts ?
Bob