Re: Fire Side Chat -- Fire Alarm Code Issue

>> Show me the part of the code that
>> magically converts a burglar alarm
>> panel to a fire alarm system with
>> the addition of fire detectors!...
>
> This is where you misunderstand the US code.  You cannot use a non-listed
> panel for fire detection in the US.

I can use any panel I like to monitor my home's smoke alarms without
restriction.  There is no code requirement except the one stipulating to the
proper placement and use of 110VAC smoke alarms (for a single family
dwelling).  If I decide to use the listed relay sold with most 110VAC smoke
alarms to hook into an on premise bell, strobe, auto-dialler, or burg panel
zone there's nothing in the code that says I *can't* and no AHJ who's going
to forbid me from doing it.

> If you do so, you then have a fire alarm which violates code.

B.S.!  I don't have a "fire alarm" at all.  I have a monitored security
system that happens to have several  fire detection components attached to
it.  The fact that it's UL listed for burg/fire doesn't make it a fire alarm
panel anymore than I require a second digital communicator if I intend to
send signals to my CS that include fire.  You're saying that any residential
burg system that is also listed for fire would have to meet "code" if you're
going to add even one smoke detector.  This would mean additional sounders,
manual stations, strobes, smokes, heats, etc.  Like I'm really sure you're
ensuring your customers meet that requirement when they order from you...

> Using a non-listed panel is a violation all by itself.

Uh-huh...  sure...  Please provide chapter and verse of any code, statute or
local bylaw you care to name.  I suppose you've advised every customer (and
their AHJ) that you've sold an M1 Gold to, that their system violates
code...  Ri-i-g-ght!!

> Using the Firex relay with a non-listed control panel only compounds the
> code violation.

Well, Robert...  the relay provides a normally open/normally closed switch.
I can wire that to pretty well anything I darn well please including my
washing machine (nothing like the scent of Lemon Tide to overcome that nasty
smoke odor).

> This is so fundamental that I suspect you know I'm right but you won't
> ever admit it.

What's patently obvious is that you don't understand the difference between
a listed fire alarm system and a residential security system (or
auto-dialler).  You keep trying to equate one with the other and no matter
how much you try, that square peg won't go into the round hole.