Using X-10 AM486 Outdoors?

I am using an AM486 appliance module to control my wife's holiday
lights. The outlet into which the lights are plugged is outdoors but
located in a well protected area on our covered porch.

My problem is that sometimes, the unit simply fails to respond to
commands (on or off). I have found that if I unplug the AM486, bring it
inside for a period of several hours, and return it to service, it seems
to begin working as expected once again.

I note now that the unit is marked  "for indoor use only". Is the cold
or moist air here in the Pacific Northwest causing the problem? If so,
any suggested "fixes"? Is there a similar unit (it need not have local
control) that is better for this outdoor installation?

Thanks

PS - In addition to the holiday lights, I have also plugged-in a small
power brick as suggested elsewhere so that the unit will actually turn
off any LED lights that are being controlled. This works just fine, it
seems. But perhaps this is part of the problem? Cheers!