Re: internet'able home thermostat, etc., rec?

?

"danny burstein" <dannyb@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> Looking for suggestions for a basic thermostat/internet
> interface. Basically we'd like to check the home temperature
> from afar and do the usuals.
>
> For example, if we're out all day we'd normally let the
> temperature drop and then come back up for our return at
> six pm.
>
> But if we wind up being away overnight, we'd like to
> reset the thermostat (remotely) to keep the heat to minimum
> until a few hours before our new ETA.
>
> (and vice versa if we're coming home earlier than expected).
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks
>

> --
> Knowledge may be power, but communications is the key
>      dannyb@xxxxxxxxx
> [to foil spammers, my address has been double rot-13 encoded]

Danny,

I'm currently doing just that so I can turn up the heat in our vacation home
in NY before we leave CT.

I'm using a CAI Networks Webcontrol, which is a mini web server. I
modified a Honeywell Heat/Cool thermostat, and with a solid state
relay, driven from the Webcontrol, I can change the thermostat from
the cold to warm position. I wrote a windows program to monitor the
temps and turn on the heat and hot water. The program can be run
from a memory stick. There is a manual interface to the server so
you can do the above without the program with a few mouse clicks,
but the temperature is in Celsius. The only problem is that some
Internet providers block port 80 communications.

Here's the link:
http://www.cainetworks.com/products/webcontrol/webcontrol-faq.html

If you need any more info, let me know.

John