Re: Garage Door Opener keypad recommendations

Get a standard, secure, wireless, keypad, battery operated unit, available
almost every hardware store that links via rolling code passwords each
usage. They come with every garage door opener that isn't bottom end quality
and work very reliably.

Change the battery every couple of years so it works reliably without any
voltage spikes from the dirty grid power in your home.

"George" <no.geodosch.spam@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I'm looking for recommendations on a garage door opener keypad.  I
normally use a wireless remote / homelink to operate the door, but I want
a keypad as a backup, so that someone cannot be locked out of the house.

My requirements seem simple, but I've had no luck with finding a unit
that meets them:

1. Wired - it will activate the door by triggering the manual pushbutton
circuit

2. No batteries - it must be A/C powered.  If it has a back-up battery,
for in case of power failure, that's fine, but I don't want the unit to
fail because the battery died.

3. The relay must be separate from the outdoor keypad.  This would
prevent someone from simply ripping the keypad off the wall and shorting
the wires going to it.

4. It must be reliable

A unit exists that meets all of the above requirements except one: a
Genie KEP-1.  I've got one of these.  In fact, I've had 2, and they have
both died.  The first one lasted many years, but it eventually stopped
working.  I bought a new one of the same model, and it died within the
first year.  I even had the power adapter on a surge suppressor, since I
suspected that might have killed the first one.  I it listed on Amazon,
and from reading the reviews, it seems many others have had reliability
problems with the KEP-1.

So I'm looking for a similar device, but one that will last more than a
few months.  It seems that everything else I find is battery powered, and
most of them are wireless.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.