Re: CAT5e wiring question

On Mon, 17 May 2010 19:36:47 -0400, "Josepi" <J.R.M.@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Inside a building, for runs under 50m, fibre optics make no sense. If copper
> can't do it, converting to fibre won't either.
>
> Are you running striped drive storage? What electronics can even support
> that speed?
I was building in 2004 and wanted the in-wall stuff to support 2034
technology.   Single-mode fiber would work with multi-mode 1gb cards
that I could afford in 2004.

I expected 10gb copper would be affordable by 2009, but I also
expected 10gb fiber to be affordable by 2009. (As it turns out,
Intel's 10gb Light Peak Technology should be able to run over the
cables that I have in the walls, although the ends probably have
to be cut, etc.)

I didn't expect 1tb copper using 2004's "Cat6E" to be available even
by 2020, but I expected 1tb and higher single-mode fiber stuff to
work with the 2004 single-mode fiber.

There was no coax or tri-axial "radio" type cable that seemed like
THE way to go for higher frequency RF stuff, so I just made the
best guess that I could for what my local existing cable company would
support and went with it.  I turned out to make the wrong choice of
cable type because Optimum wouldn't give me a straight answer,
only saying "type X will work", not "type Y is what we use when we
don't want to have to keep replacing the cable every couple of
years." (F.Y.I. in about 2000 the cable company serving Santa Clara,
California was very helpful.  The actually were setup to sell good
cable for short runs and great cable for long runs and even used their
non-portable super-duper cable-connector-installer machine to put the
connections on the cables that I bought from them in San Jose near
the Fairgrounds.  Optimum in Westchester in 2004 was only willing to
say "oh, you should have used type Z", where even type Z isn't the
actual best choice.