Re: CAT5e wiring question

Not sure about the price difference. I believe when I saw it it was about
30% more.

OTOH: I have a run of cat5 in my new home about 40-50 feet long to the
switch / router. My new media computer does a cable length test on the LAN
system and determines the length. It then authorizes the LAN card to use
Gigabit. It appears to work just fine, so far.

You may want to run cheaper cable on shorter runs. Who knows what will come
in the next few years though? 10Gbit Ethernet?

The Gbit is nice as it actually runs my 100Mbit machine at 93Gbits/sec when
crossloading to the 1Gbit machine. With two 100Mbit machines crossloading
movies would only run at about 40Mbits/sec.

"Tom M" <thomas.a.meier@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I thought about cat6.  What is the cost compare and I assume I
wouldn't have any problems with older equipment on them?

Thanks
Tom