Re: Control Hot Water Circ Pump With X10?

Bob F wrote:
> David White wrote:
>> Hello. My house has a hot water circulating pump built in and located
>> near my hot water tank. It currently runs 24/7 and this is excessive.
>> So I would like to put it on a timer controlled by my X10 system. The
>> pump is wired to a wall switch so I think it easiest to replace the
>> standard wall switch with an X10 switch. I have done this with many
>> of the lights in my house so it should be easy for me to accomplish.
>> My question is which model switch should I use? Is something like the
>> WS467 ok? Or is there another unit that would be better for use with
>> the pump? Thanks for your advice.
>
> When I added a recirc system to my house, I added low voltage wiring from each
> room needing hot water, with a push button there. Push the button, and it turns
> on the pump long enough to get hot water to that fixture. So the pump almost
> never runs, but hot water is fully available half a minute or so after you enter
> the room and push the button. Ypu could use X10 commands to do the same thing, I
> suppose, avoiding the low voltage wiring.

I checked with my sister who has a nearly identical system to yours in
her house. I agree that this is an ideal solution to the problem. Now
that I have the pump on X-10, I could put a controller some sort in the
guest bathroom to provide a manual, on-demand run of the pump. I would
just need to find an X-10 controller that can send an on signal followed
by an off signal after an appropriate delay. I could use Active Home to
do this sort of thing, I think. But I do not want my computer running
all the time monitoring for this.