Re: Internet Microphone?

On 22 Aug, 11:30, "Anthony R. Gold" <not-for-m...@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 00:01:16 -0700 (PDT), whitehexagon
>
> <whitehexa...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > You might want to have a look at ioBridge, they offer a fairly simple
> > way of monitoring/remote control (no PC required!). =A0In your case the
> > advantage would be the free logging service that is included. =A0You
> > could for example base it on a temperature sensor attached to the
> > generator. =A0 Accessing a we page will show you a 30 day history of
> > temperature which should show what time the generator turned on and
> > off. You could even add an email alert for when the temperature goes
> > above ambient so you'd get an email each time it fires up.
>
> Thanks for that, it be useful for some other applications, such as sensin=
> the garage door or street gateshttp://www.audon.co.uk/images/iobridge1.jp=
> but I believe listening to the sound is the best way to monitor the weekl=
> exercise of my standby generator.
>
> Tony

For audio based you could always attach a 'loudness' sensor to one of
the analogue input channels.  Something operating between 0v-5v vs
decibels.
Although that's probably gonna cost more than a simple temperature
sensor.  Otherwise if the generator has any kind of on/off lamp, you
could use the light sensor.  Then you'd still have the advantage of
weekly logging of data in case you miss listening in for that critical
10min window.
Alternatively have you considered an auto answering skype device?