Re: Current mid-range technology?

Russ in San Diego <russgoog@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>The reason I'm reserving judgment on XTB is that, while it ought to
>ensure devices turn on or off when commanded, I don't see how it would
>help with one of the worst X10 problems, that of devices switching on
>or off when NOT commanded, i.e., after having recognized a code within
>line noise.

Noise, per se, is seldom the reason for random switch ons. Collisions
between two valid codes, spikes on the powerline (e.g. UPB data, fluorescent
ballasts, motors) and brownouts (e.g. sags from motors starting) causing the
microcontroller to reset are the most likely causes. The probability that
random noise can create a valid Manchester code is near zero.