Re: Current mid-range technology?

On Jul 5, 6:43=A0pm, Neil Cherry <nche...@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Jul 2009 00:21:33 GMT, Dave Houston wrote:
> > Russ in San Diego <russg...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >>I sure wish I could figure out what's causing my problem, then. I've
> >>got a pair of sconce lights (CFLs) switched by an appliance module
> >>(not a dimmer module) that, just this morning, were turning on by
> >>themselves. =A0Nothing else in the house should be generating any codes=
,
> >>and there are no code collisions. =A0No other fluorescents were turned
> >>on in the house.
>
> >>There's no brownout or spikes -- I've got a photovoltaic system that
> >>produces a very clean, very precise power waveform (necessary for a
> >>grid-interactive inverter).
>
> >>There are no motors in our house that would be starting when the
> >>lights go on -- the only motors in the house are the vacuum cleaner
> >>(not in use) and refrigerator compressor, which is nearby, but the
> >>activity of which is NOT correlated with this behavior.
>
> >>This is kind of frustrating.
>
> > The trickle current in X10 switches and modules (including appliance
> > modules) can cause some CFLs to turn on. Have you tried incandescents i=
n the
> > same fixtures? This will tell you whether it's CFL related.
>
> I agree with Dave, I'm also having trouble with a CF (I thought I cut
> the diode but I'll have to check).
>
> --
> Linux Home Automation =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Neil Cherry =A0 =A0 =A0 nche...@lin=
uxha.comhttp://www.linuxha.com/=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =
=A0 Main sitehttp://linuxha.blogspot.com/=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =
=A0 =A0My HA Blog
> Author of: =A0 =A0 =A0Linux Smart Homes For Dummies

Ah, good point.  I've been assuming that an appliance module would be
enough to prevent these sorts of problems.

You would think that, by now, someone would have modified the CFL
design so it would be compatible -- or more likely, modified the home
automation modules so they are compatible with CFLs!

These lights are on too often to switche them to incandescents, other
than for a brief test period. I may try it, though.

Can anyone point me toward instructions for modifying an appliance
module to defeat the auto-detect feature that may be causing my
problem?