FSK or ASK?

Hello,

I have been doing some search on powerline related materials.

A member of a different group suggested me to look into Home
Automation Modems. I found there are 2 types available, one working on
ASK and the other on FSK. I also found some reviews from members
suggesting amplitude modulated stuff on powerline is kind of
unreliable.

Is it true that the FSK based system is definitely more reliable than
the ASK based one?

Also I am able to get FSK based home automation modems/boards from
STMicroelectronics alone. Are there any others who supply these?

I am thinking of working on an evlauation board first and then delve
into depths later. Thats why the question about the boards as well..

Thanks.

PS: I am still a newbie to PLCC.