Re: Line out audio over phone cable?

"Michael Burr" wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm working on a whole house FM transmitter project and would like to
> mount the xmitter in my cupola to get it good and high.  So I need to get
> the audio line out signal from my wiring closet up there.
>
> I'm considering pulling pairs 3&4 off a twisted 4-pair phone cable and
> using on one line from each for left and right channel, and combining the
> remaining leads from each pair for ground.  The run total run distance
> would be approx 35'.
>
> Has anyone done something similar?  Any thoughts would be greatly
> appreciated.

Michael,

There are several ways to accomplish what you want.  One simple methods is to
send speaker level audio up to the cupola and reduce it there to line level
using an audio transformer.  Another option is to use baluns at each end.
Third, you might be able to use the twisted pair cable as is for line level,
depending on how much and what kind of noise is present.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics