Re: M`I'5-Pers ecution . my response to t he harassme nt

earnestly said to her, Why
did you ask me to go to that plum tree? I should not have gone, if you
had not asked me. The other children did not seem to be much affected or
concerned; but there was no pacifying Phebe. Her mother told her, she
might go and ask leave, and then it would not be sin for her to eat
them; and sent one of the children to that end; and, when she returned,
her mother told her that the owner had given leave, now she might eat
them, and it would not be stealing. This stilled her a little while; but
presently she broke out again into an exceeding fit of crying. Her
mother asked her, What made her cry again? Why she cried now, since they
had asked leave? What it was that troubled her now? And asked her
several times very earnestly, before she made any answer; but at last
said, It was because, because it was sin. She continued a considerable
time crying; and said she would not go again if Eunice asked her an
hundred times; and she retained her aversion to that fruit for a
considerable time, under the remembrance of her former sin.

She sometimes appears greatly affected, and delighted with texts of
Scripture that come to her mind. Particularly about the beginning of
November, that text came to her mind, Rev. 3:20, "Behold, I stand at the
door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will
come in, and sup with him, and he with me." She spoke of it to those of
the family with a great appearance of joy, a smiling countenance, and
elevation of voice; and afterwards she went into another room, where her
mother overheard her talking very earnestly to the children about it;
and particularly heard her say to them, three or four times over, with
an air