Re: $7 to Start YOUR Homebusiness

only falsehood, duplicity, contradiction; we both conceal
and disguise ourselves from ourselves.

378. Scepticism.--Excess, like defect of intellect, is accused of madness.
Nothing is good but mediocrity. The majority has settled that and finds
fault with him who escapes it at whichever end. I will not oppose it. I
quite consent to put there, and refuse to be at the lower end, not because
it is low, but because it is an end; for I would likewise refuse to be
placed at the top. To leave the mean is to abandon humanity. The greatness
of the human soul consists in knowing how to preserve the mean. So far from
greatness consisting in leaving it, it consists in not leaving it.

379. It is not good to have too much liberty. It is not good to have all one
wants.

380. All good maxims are in the world. We only need to apply them. For
instance, we do not doubt that we ought to risk our lives in defence of the
public good; but for religion, no.

It is true there must be inequality among men; but if this be conceded, the
door is opened not only to the highest power, but to the highest tyranny.

We must relax our minds a little; but this opens the door to the greatest
debauchery. Let us mark the limits. There are no limits in things. laws
would put them there, and the mind cannot suffer it.

381. When we are too young, we do not judge well; so, also, when we are too
old. If we do not think enough, or if we think too much on any matter, we
get obstinate and infatuated with it. If one considers one's work
immediately after having done it, one is entirely prepossessed in its
favour; by delaying too long, one can no longer enter into the spirit of it.
So with pictures seen from too far or too near; there is but one exact point
which is the true place wherefrom to look at them: the rest are too near,
too far, too high or too low. Perspective determines that point in the art
of painting. But who shall determine it in truth and morality?