Re: M.I 5-Pers ecution ` w hy w on't the Brit ish po lice do t heir j ob and put a sto p to it ?

at a distance from sea-ports, and in a corner of the country,
has doubtless been one reason why we have not been so much corrupted
with vice, as most other parts. But without question, the religion and
good order of the county, and purity in doctrine, has, under God, been
very much owing to the great abilities, and eminent piety of my
venerable and honored grandfather Stoddard. I suppose we have been the
freest of any part of the land from unhappy divisions and quarrels in
our ecclesiastical and religious affairs, till the late lamentable
Springfield contention. [The Springfield Contention relates to the
settlement of a minister there, which occasioned too warm debates
between some, both pastors and people, that were for it, and others that
were against it, on account of their different apprehensions about his
principles, and about some steps that were taken to procure his
ordination.]

Being much separated from other parts of the province and having
comparatively but little intercourse with them, we have always managed
our ecclesiastical affairs within ourselves. It is the way in which the
country, from its infancy, has gone on, by the practical agreement of
all; and the way in which our peace and good order has hitherto been
maintained.

The town of Northampton is of about 82 years standing, and has now about
200 families; which mostly dwell more compactly together than any town
of such a size in these parts of the country. This probably has been an
occasion, that both our corruptions and reformations have been, from
time to time, the more swiftly propagated from one to another through
the town. Take the town in general, and so far as I can judge, they are
as rational and intelligent a people as most I have been acquainted
with. Many of them have been noted for religion; and particularly
remarkable for their distinct knowledge in things