Re: X-10 Technical Specifications

On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 14:25:58 -0700, Jim Thompson wrote:
> I want to build a data link (~50kb/s) using, as much as possible,
> off-the-shelf X-10 components... though I can roll my own as
> necessary... I'm an EE.

I'll be polite and not start laughing yet. ;-) I'll also assume that
the 50kb/s is a typo and you mean 50 b/s (to see why take a look here:

http://www.linuxha.com/athome/common/x10.technicalnote.pdf

Sorry about that but you'll understand why I think that funny when you
start reading about the X10 protocol.

> Where do I find a specification of the technical aspects of X-10...
> and the parts available for the handyman ?:-)

They're documented all over the web, just do a search for it.

I was looking for a PIC project that didn't use a transformer (not a
project for a first-timer as the PIC using a live neutral for ground).

I think what you were trying to ask for is a way to send ~50kbps of
data over the power lines. There's Insteon and here's a link to the
technical specs:

http://www.insteon.net/pdf/insteonwtpaper.pdf

There are other methods such as Ethernet over Power lines but that's
much more complicated.

--
Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry@xxxxxxxxxxx