Re: time delay switch

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 13:34:15 -0400, Lacustral <lark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>I'm looking for a delay switch for a bathroom fan and I haven't found any
>that have exactly what I want -
>- adjustable time interval from a few minutes to, say, 1/2 hour.  I'd
>rather not get one that just has a few choices for time interval.  You can
>get one that gives you 5,10,15, 30 or on-until-switched-off choices, but
>I'd like to have it completely adjustable.
>- time delay interval controllable on the outside of the faceplate
>- doesn't make noise.  Spring timers all click as I've heard, so not a
>  spring timr.
>
>What the delay switch does, is you can leave the fan on after you leave
>the bathroom, for an adjustable time.
>
>The closest thing I've found is this:
>http://www.rewci.com/fandetisw.html
>
>It has a delay of up to an hour.  I don't know why anybody would want to
>keep the fan on in the bathroom for an entire hour after leaving, but I
>guess it's conceivable.  So I'd live with that.
>
>But it's designed so the time delay adjustment is hidden behind
>the faceplate, and changed with a screwdriver.  I want to have the delay
>adjustment on top of the faceplate.  So there would be a sort of
>screwdriver blade attached to a knob, anchored to the faceplate somehow.
>
>Any ideas about how to do this, so it would work reliably?
>
>Alternatively, I'm sure it's possible to get a circuit that will do the
>delay function.  If the guts of it could be covered over so it looks nice
>- I could buy a wood faceplate and cut circular holes in it for the
>knobs - that would
>also do.  It would have to fit in a gang box, or whatever they call the
>metal box that switches are enclosed in.
>
>Laura

Perhaps one of these timers might suit your purpose.  Might take a bit of
mechanical work to install but shouldn't be too hard.

http://www.bgmicro.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=11333
http://www.bgmicro.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=12340
http://www.sciplus.com/singleItem.cfm?terms=12231&cartLogFrom=Search
http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2007090512144066&item=1-1614&catname=