CCTV on my TV

    How can I connect my surveillance camera to my cable which feeds the
televisions in the house?  I have tried to connect it into the cable line
using a modulator.  This modulator tunes to channels that are not
broadcasting cable channels.  But the result is a poor picture unless the
cable TV line is disconnected.  It appears that the signal from the cable TV
is still blocking everything else on the line.
    Do I need some kind of special splitter, filter, etc.
TIA for any help you can give.