Destiny 6100

I have a Destiny 6100 panel with a RS232  board installed.
trying to program it with compass direct connect through the RS232 board.
followed the instructions exactly which are very easy and can't seem to
establish communication.
Honeywell's installer tech support cannot help me out; they keep telling me
there must be something wrong my com port.  i have tried it with 2 seperate
computers for sure.
all cabling is correct as well.
anyone have any experience with this panel before?