Re: Survey: Home Control Software

Let me search through some old files. I know that I had documentation for at
least one of the TW523 serial adapters at one time. In effect, the 1132B in
serial mode has a built-in RS232 adapter. In TW523 mode, it uses the
standard TW523 TTL interface.

I added the CM11A VB code back to my web page <davehouston.org>. Scroll to
the bottom.

There are numerous and inexpensive USB-Serial adapters that will let you
handle long runs (although maybe not as long as true RS232 with ±12V
levels). This one from ByteRunner only costs $9 and has worked with
everything I've tried it with although I don't have any 100-200' cables to
test long runs.

http://www.byterunner.com/byterunner/product_name=Y-105/user-id=/password=/exchange=/exact_match=exact

If you stick with X-10, you should also be aware of Jeff Volp's XTB gizmos.
They're a "bigger hammer" type solution and I prefer to solve the underlying
attenuation or noise problems, which you should be able to do in a new
house, but...

http://jeffvolp.home.att.net/xtb_files.htm