Re: Questions about Smartlinc 3-way Companion (Slave) Switches

In article <JrCWh.3937$j63.1067@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, nospam@xxxxxxxxxx (eegorr) writes:

| Does anyone know how these things work?

The slaves for the original SwitchLincs were the same as PCS's (and a
couple of other brands); in fact, they used to ship the PCS version
before they had their own.  A slave sends positive or negative half
cycles on the yellow wire depending on which way you push the paddle.
This is implemented with two diodes.

| Smarthome has discontinued the
| 2382W

It's kind of strange since the link on the 23885's page still points
to the 2382.  More strange is that the 2382's page doesn't list the
23885.

| but I have some 1135W switches I am trying to get to work with some
| 23885W relay switches.

I'll have to check if I have any 1135s so I can see if they are the
simple two-diode ones.

[...]

| 1) The nightlight LED (at the top of the switch) does not light on the
| 1135W, whether or not the yellow wire is connected.  Is this right, or
| should this LED be lit whenever power is connected?

The original slaves that I describe above had the LED on all the time; it
was just a night light.  The 2382's page mentions blinking in response to
X10 commands, so it might be something different.  It could also be a
mistake taken from the generic SwitchLinc description.  If the 1135 is
the original slave the LED should be on as long as power is connected,
independent of what you do with the yellow wire.

| 2) What kind of signal is sent out via the yellow wire?  Is it a DC level or
| a pulse, or something else completely different.  What should I look for?

See above for the original version at least.

| 3) Is there something I can do to the yellow wire of the 23885W to make sure
| that the companion switch connection to it is operational?

Without knowing for sure what the intended slave switches do it might
be risky.

Are you sure the slave is getting power?

				Dan Lanciani
				ddl@danlan.*com