Re: How Integrate PC 20 feet from TV?

"Charles Sullivan" <cwsulliv@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:pan.2006.10.02.05.10.38.993790@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> On Sun, 01 Oct 2006 15:59:29 -0700, Al Franz wrote:
>
> > Want to put a media center in the family room, and a keyboard and
PC monitor
> > about 15-20 feet away.  Is there technology that can enable me to
put the
> > computer at either location and have the display shown on the TV
at the same
> > time as the PC monitor.  Most of the time I would just use the PC
without
> > the TV.
> >
> > I assume the PC Monitor would be a DVI or VGA connection, can one
cable be
> > run longer?
> >
> > The connection to the TV is undecided since I have not purchased
one as of
> > yet, what type of connector would be best (HMI?).  Is this
possible what I
> > want to do?
> >
> > Thanks!
>
> X-10 sells a kit consisting of an RF transmitter which connects
between
> your video card and VGA monitor plus an RF receiver which you hook
to your
> TV set.  It's supposed to replicate your PC screen on the TV.  I
have no
> idea how well it works.  See:
> http://www.x10.com/products/x10_vk73a.htm
>
> They have a sale:
> http://www.x10.com/promotions/goldmine_vk73a.html
>
> There are two models, one for VGA, the other for a video card with
TV out.
> The picture for the sale item seems to match the VGA model but
> it's nowhere stated.  I'd call and inquire about this if interested.

I've used the X-10 RF transmitter and I found it was unreliable and
poor quality.

I recommend at least S-video connection to the TV or better.  Most
TV's don't support the resolutions of PC monitors, so that may be your
limiting factor.

I use a vidio card that supports 2 monitors, and there are many to
choose from, and I use a S-video connection that is 20 feet long.  It
works good.

If your TV supports a higher level signal (VGA, DVI, HDMI) than I
would use that.

 - Duane