Temperature control--why?

I see that many of the home automation discussions center around
temperatire control.  I have used programmable thermostats for quite a
while, and find that they pretty much meet all my needs...unless I am
overlooking something.  If you have incorporated your themostats into
your home automation system, how do you use it?  And what is it that
you do with your system that you wouldn't normally be able to do with
a typical programmable thermostat?

Skip