Re: Breaker Panel & signal coupling?

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 14:18:32 +0000, ok wrote:

> I've ordered a Signal Coupler from Smarthome and have a question.  I was
> looking at the on-line instructions and I'm confused.  I was always under
> the impression that in a standard breaker panel, one side of the breakers
> was on one leg of 120V and the other side was the other 120V.  The
> instructions say (and show) to install the two wires on adjacent breakers on
> the same side of the breaker box.  Is that  correct?
>
> Thanks in advance!

Generally that's correct.  Having adjacent breakers on opposite legs
allows installing a double breaker for 240V appliances like clothes
dryers and hot water heaters (or for your signal coupler).

I suppose some breaker locations in some panels may be connected
differently.  If there's any question in your mind, measure the
voltage across the hot leads to the intended breaker locations.
(An inexpensive neon bulb tester will work if you don't have a
multimeter.)  Zero volts means the breakers are on the same leg
and won't work for the coupler.  240V means the breakers are on
different legs.