Dial-up home automation assistance needed

Greetings -

We're going to be remodeling our rural cabin later this year.  It's located
in a remote area which only has internet via dial-up...and that's at around
30kbps.

We would like to automate the house with some type of home automation
system.  Ultimately, we would like to have a furnace thermostat, light
control, and a security system.

Is this doable with a dialup internet connection?  Would you run it via a
Windows 2003 server?  Win XP?

Thanks for any & all assistance!