Dial-up security/automation assistance request

Greetings -

We will be remodeling our rural cabin later this year and would like to
implement some automation in the home when we remodel.

Nearly all of the walls will have their sheetrock removed so we will be able
to do extensive wiring.

The home is quite rural so only has dial-up internet service.

Would it be possible to use a pc running Win Server 2003 or a variant to
install automation including furnace control, light control and security?

How would you control this remotely?  Could you connect to the computer
through the modem or would you have to buy a telephone interface?

Any packages anyone would recommend?

Thanks!