Re: Dial-up security/automation assistance request

Not Me wrote:
> Greetings -
>
> We will be remodeling our rural cabin later this year and would like to
> implement some automation in the home when we remodel.
>
> Nearly all of the walls will have their sheetrock removed so we will be able
> to do extensive wiring.
>
> The home is quite rural so only has dial-up internet service.
>
> Would it be possible to use a pc running Win Server 2003 or a variant to
> install automation including furnace control, light control and security?
>
> How would you control this remotely?  Could you connect to the computer
> through the modem or would you have to buy a telephone interface?
>
> Any packages anyone would recommend?
>
> Thanks!

Check out Smarthome.com. And there a others, of the same type of
equpment distributors.

They've got a catalogs that they'll send you also. There are a number
of "stand alone" items that can be utilized over regular telephone
lines. Anything that you do with a computer program is going to be
somewhat limited by dialup. There are a number of X10 (compatable)
devices that can be controled via dialup. It's not too sophisticated
and not 100% reliable ( nothing is), but it can get the job done. The
key to remote sending and monitoring via X10 compatable products, is to
create some kind of "verification" that the events you trigger,
actually did occur or didn't fail. Such as ..... if you have a remote
controlled heating thermostat ..... you should have a seperate
reporting low temperature alert too. Water shut off should be backed up
with water sensors ..... and so on. By the way, most of this is done
over your existing 110VAC power wiring in the home. Which would mean
you'd have to leave the circuits that these devices were operating on,
powered up when you weren't there. And of course, you have to have some
idea of how reliable the telephone service is going to be too.