Re: X10 signal problems...

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 10:12:25 GMT, "Stanley Barthfarkle"
<sbarth@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Amplify the signal with a coupler-repeater. Of you're uncomfortable using
>the hardwired version, use the plug-in type at a 220v dryer outlet. This
>will fix your problems now, instead of blindly troubleshooting the
>intermittent failures and quirky nuances inherent to X-10 for the next 10
>years or so. Most X-10 controllers, as designed, put out a piss poor signal,
>and you will never completely remove all sources of interference. Think of
>X-10 as whispering to someone across a table at a noisy restaurant; they
>won't always hear you- But, if you whisper into an amplified bullhorn, they
>WILL always hear you.
>
>AMPLIFY IT AND COUPLE THE PHASES.

Your advice solved the problems I was having with my X-10 devices. I
have been living with inconsistence performace for several years. X-10
controlled lights and appliances would or wouldn't work from day to
day. I was frustrated, and ready to just give it up. I then read your
advice about adding the coupler-repeater.  I checked Smarthome, and
they had the dryer outlet plug-in, and for $20 off during the
holidays. I bought it, pluged it in, and for $69 and a few seconds of
my time, appeared to have solved all my X-10 problems. In the few
weeks I have been using it, I have had ZERO inconsistent performance
problems with my controlled devices.

Thank you for the advice, and gving me renewed confidence in my home
automation!