Re: Creating a home Ethernet out of installed but unused Cat 5

On 31 Jan 2006 09:33:47 -0500, Al Dykes wrote:
> In article <paKdnZpAl8FS70LeRVn-sQ@xxxxxxxxxxx>,
> dnoyeB  <Fake@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>Bennett Price wrote:
>>> You could do a simple continuity check with a 9 volt battery, a couple
>>> of leads with alligator clips on each end, and a cheap voltmeter - all
>>> available at Radio Shack.  Connect the battery to a pair of leads
>>> downstairs and see whether you can read 9 volts upstairs.
>>>
>>> But are you sure it is Cat 5?  You said it's shielded - it seems very
>>> odd that the phone company would install a) Cat 5, and b) that it would
>>> be shielded.  Could be but odd.
>>>

> If your cable is CAT5/5e/6 it will have the label every couple feet on
> the sleeve.  No label; no CAT; no ethernet.
>
> I've never seen shielded CAT-anything but I assume it's also properly
> labeled.

A long time ago I remember seeing sheilded cat 5. There is one big
problem with sheilded. You can only ground 1 end not both. I've also
seen cable that is sheilded and looks like cat 5. The problem with
this stuff is the impedance of the cable is out of spec and will cause
all sorts of problems.

--
Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/               Backup site