Re: new home wiring questions

On 20 Feb 2006 04:53:43 -0800, "vluke" <virtualluke@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Thanks for the calming effects of your words.  :-)
>
> Always something else that comes to mind getting into the details....
>
> (1) It looks like I will need a speaker selector box -- the ones I have
> found are already impedance matching.  If I go with one of these then
> do I need impedance matching volume controls too?  Or do I not need a
> impdedance matching speaker selector?  Is there a sound quality
> difference on whether to use an impedance matching volume control?

I've done this sort of thing hundreds of times.  I've used
impedance matching selector boxes with conventional volume
controls and non-matching boxes with impedance matching V/C's.  I
prefer the latter as it gives me greater flexibility in assigning
different amounts of power to different size rooms.  Either way
will work though.

> (2) For the downstairs dinining room/living room my wife has decided
> she just wants 1 volume control.  Should I daisy chain the speakers (L
> to L,R to R) or run all 4 speakers to one volume control?  Do most of
> the volume controls handles 4 speakers?  If they say they handle up to
> 12 gauge in the volume control unit can I fit 2 14 gauge wires??

Run the two left speakers in parallel and the two right in
parallel to the left and right sides of a single V/C unit.  Be
sure to choose a volume control that is rated for a higher load
since it will be drawing twice the current.

> (3) Do most in wall or ceiling speakers need special hardware brackets
> to install.  For the c800 for one example?  Also some speakers like the
> c800 you mention also have an optional box for sound absorption -- when
> is this worthwhile/when is it not?

Some require brackets and some don't.  The C800 series don't
though you can install them if you choose.  I personally prefer
not to use them -- one less piece of sheet metal to possibly
develop a rattle some day.

Back boxes do attenuate some noise but not all.  If they're for
ancillary rooms, most of the time these speakers will be playing
at low volume levels.  If you have the option, stuff some speaker
insulation or, failing that, ordinary insulation material into
the cavity before the boxes go in.

I used to jam paper backed insulation into the ceiling space
before hanging the speakers.  It helps dampen reverberations
within the cavity -- cleaner sound.

> It seems like if I don't want the audio to bleed into different
> zones it would be more useful.  Is this the main reason?

That's one reason.  The other is the purported improvement in
sound.  However, the speakers were designed for in-wall,
non-boxed installations.  I've listened to them both ways and
there was no improvement with the boxes.  They sounded great
either way.

> Thanks for the help!

Sure thing.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Burglar Alarms
The Online DIY Store
http://www.BassBurglarAlarms.com

--

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large
groups.