Re: Beggginer 3-way switch question....

In article <1127435592.788211.66480@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
 <jaedend@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>I would like to start using home automation equipment.  I currently
>rent so I'm not looking to rewire the house or anything, but I thought
>I would start with wall switches and a few appliance modules.  Here's
>my question:  Nearly every light in my apartment is toggled between 2
>switches.  So for example my hallway has 2 switches, one at both ends.
>Both switches will turn the lights in the hallway on or off when
>switched.  How do I integrate wall switch modules into this setup?  Do
>I need a special switch or will any x10 switch work?  Do I replace both
>wall switches?  Is there a way to keep the toggle working for manual
>switching but still be able to run automated programs?  Thank for any
>help.

CAUTION:  Touching any of the 'in-wall' wiring requires the permission
and consent of the landlord.  In most cities the law also requires that
you be a _licensed_electrician_ to do such work in a multi-family dwelling.

Any switches you _do_ install, also become the property of the landlord.
You cannot legally remove them when you move out -- without the express
permission of the landlord at that time -- *even*if* you are 'replacing'
them with the 'original' things that were there when you moved in.