Re: Timed control access to playstation

On 21 Sep 2005 18:36:22 -0700, marcrand@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

>I am so bewildered at the amount of x-10 'stuff' out there, that I
>can't seem to find a straight forward solution to my problem.  I have
>no X-10 experience nor equipment and usually the most helpful people
>are found in groups like this.  I also applogize for the newbie
>question.
>
>My Problem(s)
>How can I control the access to my son's play station such that they
>can only use it for 1 hour a day?  How could I control the TV so that
>it is only on for 2 hours a day?  Ideally this would be done
>automatically, where the child would turn the playstation on (perhaps
>at an X-10 controller that would then turn on the outlet?) then after a
>predetemined time period the x-10 controller would 'time out' the plug
>by turning the playstation off.  If the child turned the playstation
>off before the alloted time, they could keep the remaining minutes for
>later in the day.

Why not buy one of those cheap kitchen timers and set it for one hour.
When it goes off, the Playstation gets turned off without argument. If
you catch the child cheating, the Playstation gets donated to the
Salvation Army or some other reputable charity. If the child knows you
mean what you say and has any desire to use the Playstation again,
they'll follow your rules. If your rules are basically ignored, you
might want to check out the web site http://www.loveandlogic.com/.
Even if you do buy an automated solution to this problem, someday more
critical rules might be ignored with serious consequences.