> I recently moved into a home with an
> old M&S Model 350 intercom.  The
> Speakers all seem to work ok, but the
> master unit is in bad shape. It doesn't
> turn off the program/set time buttons
> do not work.
>
> I found the DCM3-4 unit online as a
> retrofit replacement. This looks like
> it'll work, but everything I see regarding
> the installation indicates that I have to
> replace ALL the Speaker stations as well.

That is correct.  The old room station speakers are not compatible with the
new DCM3-4 system.

> After inspecting one of the speaker I'm
> puzzled as to why...

It's just the way they designed the new system.  A cynical person might be
inclined to believe they just wanted to sell more new stations.  I spoke to
my M&S rep and he seems to think that's the reason, too.  If you need help
configuring a setup, feel free to contact me.  I carry M&S though I haven't
put all of the components online yet.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass