Re: Porch light by remote question.

"Scout Lady" <scoutlady@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>I don't know anything about this x10 stuff. What I want is to be able to
>turn on the porch light with a keychain remote. Do I have to buy a whole
>system or is there something I can buy to just hook up to the porch light?

If all you are interested in is a single porch light then X-10 may not be
the best choice. X-10 has no way to do this directly but, as someone already
noted, requires replacing the wall switch with an X-10 capable switch which
can receive commands over the powerline from a "receiver" that will
translate the wireless remote commands into powerline commands. I would only
recommend X-10 if you think you might want to automate other devices at some
later date.

There are some non-X-10 ways to do this more directly but it depends on the
details of the porch light itself as they require a rather bulky receiver
that goes between the porch light socket and the light bulb. Look at the
"Socket Adapter" about half-way down this page...

     http://www.geconsumerproducts.com/smarthome/prod_1_1.htm