> In article <1140t8pf30ncr77@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> Matias Silva  <matt@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>Al Dykes wrote:

>>>I don't think you use "voip" the same way I do.
>>>
>>>A voip handset runs voice over an ethernet (or any other IP media,
>>>such as WiFi) and shares the bandwidth.  If you are going to use a
>>>Linksys router that has an RJ-11 jack for an analog handset then
>>>you're not installing a viop system in the house, IMO. Just more POTS
>>>wire.
>>>
>>>You can expect to see WiFi-capable viop handsets soon, which I think
>>>will be neat.
>>>
>>>IMO you only need one POTS phone in the house for 911 calls, unless
>>>it's a _very_ large house.
>>>
>>>Put your switch and router stuff on a small UPS. (or maybe not so
>>>small) During the 24 hour NorthEast power outage a couple years ago I
>>>had my DSL connecttion on my UPS and was able to run my laptop for the
>>>entire duration and recharge my cellphone when needed. I was online
>>>and chatting with friends all night.  (lucky).

>>I read that with VoIP you have to have lines isolated from
>>the phone company.  I agree, what I call my VoIP line may
>>not be VoIP in the definition sense.  My VoIP line will be
>>connected to a VoIP adapter and then the adapter will be
>>connected to a router.  I am still using traditional/analog
>>based phones and have not thought about purchasing VoIP phones.
>>
>>Its a conservative 2 story house (~2000 sqft) and I like to have
>>an anolog phone for the 911 calls in the master bdrm and the kitchen.
>>
>>How many Volt-Amps is your UPS?  Wasn't that black out for long time?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Matt
>

> well over 24 hours for me.  He were online for a while at 20 hours and
> then went dark again. I suppose I got a bit of a recharge then.
>
> 1200 VA (less due to an old battery). It supports a fully-featured
> desktop system.  When the lights went out I was home and immediatly
> shut down the machine.  My laptop had a full battery (good for three
> hours) and when it was used up I plugged the lapopt the UPS and was up
> again.  I was careful to hit the "standby" button on the laptop
> whenever I wasn't using it.
>
> I was lucky. All the necessary telco infrustructure needed to keep my
> DSL going also had power.
>

> Build "g" Wifi into your whole house.  If you are cost sensitive and
> yet want a fully wired house it's an economy move becasue you don't
> need anywhere as may drops but can put a printer or PC, or work on a
> laptop, anywhere with the right adapter.
>
> If you think about COAX and ethernet at the same wallplate you never
> use your PC within a couple feet of your TV (except for the
> Tivo/cablebox).  You'll be using a long TV or data patch cord all the
> time.

Wow, I guess the you don't have the fridge hooked up to that UPS.  Thats
one thing when you have a total power outage and everything goes down and
you need to make an emergency call; it still is nice to have a POTS phone
and that all charged up cell phone.

I don't like the idea of relying on wifi because your still using bands that
every other cordless appliance is using.  when my 2.4 GHz phone is in use the
wifi connection dimenishes.  I have tried spacing the channels out, but there
is always a neighbor using their cordless phone.  Also if I want to transfer huge
files from the pvr to the computer, wifi will suck.

I want to add the wiring right, i'm not concerned about the cost since I have
purchased most of the wiring equipment and cable already.