Re: Structured Wiring Questions.

In article <1140ldm11romg25@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Matias Silva  <matt@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>wkearney99 wrote:
>>>1. Coax for cable tv.
>>>2. Coax satellite tv.
>>

>> Bear in mind that some satellite systems can use more than a single wire. A
>> dual-tuner DirecTV unit requires two links to the multiswitch/dish.
>>
>> Sometimes it's 'better' to put the AV stuff in one place and distribute it's
>> signals internally instead.
>>

>>>3. Cat5 for an analog phone line.
>>

>> Which allows for up to 4 POTS lines.
>>

>>>4. Cat5 for Voice-over-IP phone line.
>>>5. Cat6 for Ethernet/Internet
>>

>> Why both?  Granted, if you want two ethernet devices in each location then
>> you could do this.  You could also use a switch at that location.  But if
>> you want a single wall connection for each device then having both is a good
>> idea.
>>

>>>1. What is the best way to run wire from the attic through
>>>    the 2nd floor ending up at the bottom floor.  Do I make 1 ft.
>>>    diameter holes in the walls to drill between floors?
>>

>> One FOOT?  How much are wire you thinking of running?
>>

>>>2. How do I navigate around/through firebreaks located on the
>>>    exterior walls?
>>

>> Check with your local building inspection department.
>>

>>>3. Would you recommend that I run 1" - 2" diameter pvc piping so that
>>>    I can run the wires in the piping.  What this allows is for
>>>    me to add or remove wiring easily at a later time.  My only concern
>>>    is that I will weaken the structure of the house by running pvc
>>>    through the walls and between floors.
>>

>> No more so than what regular plumbing does.  You have to take care when
>> putting holes in structural members of a house.  Too many holes in a joist
>> is a bad thing.  Not all walls are structurally significant.
>>

>>>4. In terms of the list above, should I add anymore type of wiring?
>>>    I was thinking of an intercom.
>>

>> Intercom systems will generally run over anything.  But their placement is
>> usually near the entrance ot a room, not where you'd usually put TV, phone
>> or computer jacks.
>>

>Well I'm planning to have a junction box that has two inputs (cable and satellite)
>and have a splitter for the satellite to all the rooms.  Thanks for the tip on
>running two satellite lines because of dual tuners on the satellite box.  I will
>plan to have 6 plugs at the outlet.  I can label one cable, one satellite, and
>one satellite/cable and if if a particular tv needs two inputs either from satellite
>or cable and can just switch one cable over to the satellite/cable.  I also could
>use a splitter at the outlet and just have two lines coming from the splitter into
>the dual tuner.
>
>Two separate lines for phone, one line will be a phone line so that I could still
>dial 911 in case the power goes out.  The other will be dedicated for voip.  The
>voip line will plug into a Linksys VoIP adapter.  Granted for the voip line, I only
>need 2 of the 8 conductors, but you never know ...

I don't think you use "voip" the same way I do.

A voip handset runs voice over an ethernet (or any other IP media,
such as WiFi) and shares the bandwidth.  If you are going to use a
Linksys router that has an RJ-11 jack for an analog handset then
you're not installing a viop system in the house, IMO. Just more POTS
wire.

You can expect to see WiFi-capable viop handsets soon, which I think
will be neat.

IMO you only need one POTS phone in the house for 911 calls, unless
it's a _very_ large house.

Put your switch and router stuff on a small UPS. (or maybe not so
small) During the 24 hour NorthEast power outage a couple years ago I
had my DSL connecttion on my UPS and was able to run my laptop for the
entire duration and recharge my cellphone when needed. I was online
and chatting with friends all night.  (lucky).

--

a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.